This blog will serve as an opportunity for CR encouragement, shared changed life stories, resources and mini-testimonies.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Be Different

Be different - from Lysa TerKeurst from Proverbs31.org

I am a magnet for strange.

Seriously.

Yesterday, I was outside with my three dogs soaking up the sunshine.  After being in snowy Pennsylvania this weekend, I needed the warmth of the Carolinas to soak deeply into my bones.  Southern girls don’t do snow in April.

(p.s. People near Pittsburgh have cold weather but warm hearts.  I was moved deeply by watching what Jesus did during our time there. A big hello to my friends in Grove City!)

Anyhow, back to the sunshine and dogs.  You know we got a new puppy named “Willow” for Christmas.  Well, Champ and Chelsea aren’t sure of what to think of precious, little 3 pound, Willow.

She annoys them.  In every way. 

So, I thought it would be a good investment for the dog relations in our home to be with them outside and help them all feel the love.  I sat on the ground and loved on each dog. 
They enveloped me in a flurry of wet kisses, fur, and stinky dog breath.  I was having a ball.  And they were all getting along.  Bliss. 

Until… Willow came and sat on my lap.  Claiming the prized location of closeness with me, I don’t think she realized the signal she was sending.  Champ suddenly backed up and growled.  His tail stopped wagging.  He was not happy.

“Oh Champ,” I reassured, “Willow is a baby- be nice.”

More growling.

“No sir!  Champ, be nice.  Come here and I’ll show you I can love on you while Willow sits in my lap,” I reassured while rubbing behind his ears.

He seemed to be happy then and turned and licked my cheek.

Bliss,again.

But then out of the blue he walked behind me, peeked around my left side to look straight at Willow, lifted his leg, and drenched me in tee-tee!

What in the world!?

I googled it.

Some say Champ was marking his territory.  “That’s MY mama!”

And his strong expression of MINE was a stark reminder to me, how disgusting a heart bent on “self” can be.

SELFishness… ME… MINE…

Several years ago, God challenged me to never look at an opportunity I was given as something just for me.  I am to always think two things… 

1.  Thank you God for entrusting this opportunity to me.  I know it is a gift from you.

2.  How can I use this opportunity to also bless someone else?  The journey will be more rewarding if it’s not all about me.

Do these things come naturally?  Not at first.  Not in a ‘me first’, Mine! Mine! Tee tee on others kind of world.

But we aren’t called to live according to the norm, doing what comes naturally.
We are called to rise above.  Be set apart.  Be different.  Be pure in every way.

“Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.”  (1 John 3:3)

How can we apply this to our lives today?  Right in the midst of what we’re doing today, how can we graciously and purely represent Christ as we RE-Present Him everywhere we go?

Good stuff to ponder as I wash my smelly outfit from yesterday. 


If you have questions regarding Celebrate Recovery, please click on the contact us link at the top of the page.


No comments:

Post a Comment